A crew of gravediggers have started burying some of the scores of migrants who died in a mass crossing into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta in North Africa three weeks ago.
The cemetery’s acting manager, Said Mohammed, said the plan was to bury around 70 bodies in the coming days, with 10 to 12 burials each day.
About 95 percent of those being buried have not yet been identified, but each grave was marked with a numbered stone in case the body was claimed and repatriated eventually, he said.
The Moroccan Association for Human Rights, a left-leaning nongovernmental organisation, called for the burials in Ceuta to be halted until every effort had been made to identify the bodies and repatriate them to Morocco, the country of origin for most of the migrants who made the perilous journey.
Authorities say between 5,000 and 8,000 people remain in Ceuta after at least 72,000 people crossed from Morocco on July 30 in a rush that left 82 migrants dead on the Spanish side of the border, with 14 more deaths confirmed by Morocco
Subscribe: http://trt.world/subscribe
Livestream: http://trt.world/ytlive
Facebook: http://trt.world/facebook
X (Twitter): http://trt.world/twitter
Instagram: http://trt.world/instagram
TikTok: http://tiktok.com/@trtworld
WhatsApp: trtworld.com/whatsapp
Telegram: https://t.me/trtworld
Visit our website: http://trt.world

